1. Privacy statement
1.1 Subulus Salaam Limited respect your right to privacy. At Subulus Salaam, we look after your personal information carefully. We adhere strictly to the requirements of UK data protection law and, in accordance with current law, we are registered on the public register of data controllers which is looked after by the Information Commissioner.
1.2 This Privacy Notice tells you who we are, how we collect, share and use information which identifies you ("personal information") and how you can exercise your privacy rights. This Privacy Notice applies to personal information that we collect through our website at https://www.subulussalaam.co.uk, but also to other personal information that you may provide to us when applying for Zakat assistance. Please do take a moment to read this Privacy Notice so that you will understand how we use your personal information.
1.3 If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Privacy Notice. Content of this Privacy Notice We recommend that you read this Privacy Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed. However, if you only want to access a particular section of this Privacy Notice, then scroll down to the relevant section.
Section 2 - What does Subulus Salaam do?
Section 3 - What personal information does Subulus Salaam collect, and when?
Section 4 - Why does Subulus Salaam process the personal information that it does?
Section 5 - Who does Subulus Salaam share my personal information with?
Section 6 - Legal basis for processing personal information
Section 7 - Cookies and similar tracking technology
Section 8 - How does Subulus Salaam keep my information secure?
Section 9 - International data transfers
Section 10 - Data retention Section 11 - Your data protection rights
Section 12 - Updates to this Privacy Notice
Section 13 - How to contact us
2. What does Subulus Salaam do?
2.1 Subulus Salaam is a Muslim charity based in the United Kingdom. Subulus Salaam provides food assistance at the end of the month of Ramadhan to Muslim households in severe financial hardship and provides other essentials during the winter period.
2.2 For more information about Subulus Salaam, please see the "Our Work” section of our Website at https://www.subulussalaam.co.uk
3. What personal information does Subulus Salaam collect, and when?
3.1 There are lots of 'touch points' where you may provide data to us voluntarily or where it is collected automatically. Given the number of services we offer, what data we collect from you depends on which you select. Types of personal data we typically collect at different touch points includes:
- When you visit of our website: For more information about our websites and cookies, see section 7, 'Cookies and similar tracking technology'.
- When you become a beneficiary of Subulus Salaam: your name, gender, delivery address, email, telephone number and a record of your source of income and the assistance that you receive from us. When you contact us to inform us of a change of address or any change of your personal information, this will be saved to our system.
- When you contact us by any means (such as telephone, email, or SMS): We record the content of your communication.
3.1.1 Sensitive Personal Data: some of the personal information that you provide to us may include sensitive personal information, such as health-related information or information about your immigration status or about your source of income. You may provide this information to us voluntarily, for example during phone conversations. If we need to collect sensitive personal information from you, we will obtain your consent (or otherwise let you know our relevant legal grounds for collecting this information), at the point when we ask you to provide this information. Additionally, we may be required to collect sensitive information (such as proof of immigration status or proof of income) if you apply for Zakat assistance, we will let you know our relevant legal grounds for collecting this information, at the point when we ask you to provide this information.
3.1.2 Data received from third parties: sometimes we will collect personal information from third parties. For example, we receive referrals from other charities. We use the information we receive from these third parties to provide you with our assistance, as otherwise necessary for our legitimate business reasons (for example, to verify that you meet our eligibility criteria).
3.1.3 If you require more information on what we collect, how we handle sensitive personal data or what data we collect from third parties, please go to section 13, which shows you how to get in touch with us.
4. Why does Subulus Salaam process the personal information that it does?
Most commonly, we need personal information for one of four reasons: (1) to perform a contract; (2) where it is in our legitimate interests to do so; (3) where it is required to comply with legal or regulatory obligations; and (4) where you have provided your consent.
To understand more about these legal grounds for processing your personal data, please see section 6, 'Legal basis for processing personal information'
4.1 Where we use your personal data to provide our assistance to you, if you don't give us the correct information, we might not be able to provide you with the requested assistance or service(s) you applied for. We need your personal information in order to do the following:
Provide you with the assistance you applied for and to tell you when we'll deliver it to your home or when our volunteer will visit you;
- Update our records about you (to ensure that they are up-to-date and accurate);
- Comply with our regulatory obligations;
- Detect fraud; and Check your identity.
4.2 We are a responsible charity and we are required to comply with certain legal and regulatory obligations. One example of this is if you are a vulnerable customer.
If you tell us you have a disability or otherwise need support, we'll keep a record that you are a vulnerable customer. For example, if you told us about a disability we need to be aware of when we deliver our service to you, we have to record that information so we don't repeatedly ask you about it.
For more information about out regulatory and legal use of personal data, see section 5 'Who does Subulus Salaam share my personal information with?'
5. Who does Subulus Salaam share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to stores in order to arrange the online Fidiyah home delivery and the Winter monthly food shopping delivery. In this case, we would share with them your name, and full address for the purpose of the home delivery.
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
6. Legal basis for processing personal information
6.1 The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data. Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it, including: For the purpose of screening Zakat applications, we will use your personal information to verify your source of income and expenditures. We will also use your personal information to assess the income of your household and your eligibility for our service.
6.2 Consent We can collect and process your data with your consent. For example, when you tick a box on our online Zakat application form to consent to show all relevant official documents to justify your need to apply for Zakat assistance. When collecting your personal data, we'll always make it clear to you which data is necessary in connection with our Zakat assistance service.
6.3 If you have questions about, or need further information concerning, the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided in section 13, 'How to contact us'.
7. Cookies and similar tracking technology
8. How does Subulus Salaam keep my information secure?
8.1 We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level or security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
8.2 We check your identity when you get in touch with us, and we follow our security procedures and apply suitable technical measures, such as encryption, to protect your information.
8.3 Specific measures we use include:
- Implementing design principles within our infrastructure (e.g. use of anti-virus and firewalls);
- Hardcopies are kept in locked cabinets.
9. International data transfers
9.1 Your personal information is solely used for the purpose of Zakat assistance. Subulus Salaam focuses on the distribution of Zakat funds to Muslim Londoners who qualify for Zakat assistance. Data is not transferred anywhere. It remains with Subulus Salaam which is based in London, UK. Your personal information will not be transferred outside the UK..
10. Data retention
10.1 We retain personal information we collect from you only for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. In most cases, we will keep your personal information while you're one of our beneficiaries, and for 3 years after.
10.2 At the end of the retention period, your data will be deleted completely.
11. Your data protection rights
11.1 You may have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the How to contact us heading below.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the How to contact us heading below.
- You have the right to withdraw your application and opt-out of the screening process. You can exercise this right by informing us that you wish to "opt-out. If you would prefer to opt-out over the telephone, or to opt-out of other forms then please contact us using the contact details provided under the How to contact us heading below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
11.2 We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
12. Updates to this Privacy Notice
12.1 We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by data protection law.
12.2 This Privacy Notice was last updated on 01st August 2018.
13. How to contact us
13.2 The data controller of your personal information is Subulus Salaam Limited, which is registered with the charity commission with registration number 1168638 and with companies’ house 08583599.